Make fast friends with slow fashion
Anne Mulaire buys organic fabrics that are sustainably sourced from companies that treat their workers fairly. Those fabrics are milled and knitted in Ontario by a company that adheres strictly to the Oeko Tex 100 standard which confirms that materials are free of hazardous chemicals.
The bamboo, cotton, and hemp that are used in our clothing are grown without pesticides, herbicides, or chemical fertilizers. Bamboo is an especially good choice for the environment as it requires less water than many other crops and releases more oxygen than other materials do. We’re eco friendly and eco-efficient.
“Show you care by what you wear. Many of our fabrics meet and exceed the highest possible environmental standards without compromising style or comfort. Be friendly to the planet; be loving of yourself.” -Anne xo
Bamboo is our core fabric. It breathes. Deeply. It hums. If you listen carefully, you might hear it singing. Some call it “washable silk”. We just call it magical.
The bamboo knits we use are absolutely unique to Anne Mulaire. We put our hands on every roll of fabric to make sure it meets our precise specifications and our exacting standards. Sometimes, we send it back.
The yarn we use is imported from organic bamboo and cotton crops in India and China. The fabric is milled/knitted in Ontario, Canada, and dyed nearby by a company that meets the Oeko Tex 100 standard, ensuring materials are free of hazardous chemicals. The dyes are also Azo-free. This means that they are more efficiently absorbed into natural fibres, resulting in less polluting run-off.
Once milled, knitted, and dyed, the fabric is shipped to Winnipeg where our team skillfully assembles Anne Mulaire’s masterpieces.
Our Canadian-made fabrics :
Bamboo Lycra® (All-season bamboo): 85% Bamboo Viscose and 15% Lycra®
Bamboo Fleece (Winter bamboo): 64% Bamboo Viscose, 24% organic cotton, and 8% Lycra®
Bamboo French Terry (Mid-season bamboo): 64% Bamboo Viscose, 24% organic cotton, and 8% Lycra®
Light bamboo knit: 70% Bamboo Viscose and 30% organic cotton
Bamboo Sorona®*: 70% Bamboo Viscose and 30% Sorona®
* Sorona® is made from naturally produced starch in corn. Once processed, this starch creates a polymer similar to polyester without the use of any petrochemicals. Blended with bamboo, this fabric provides exceptional softness and drape, comfort stretch and recovery, moisture management, as well as UV and chlorine resistance.
We also offer products made from organic linen, organic cotton, hemp, Ponte Roma, and silk. These fabrics are sourced from other suppliers.
Ponte Roma®: 65% Rayon, 30% Nylon, and 5% Lycra®
* Ponte Roma does not contain polyester. The non-polyester knits are softer, closer resembling jersey. Rayon is considered a natural fiber because it's made from wood cellulose. It's soft and comfortable and doesn't retain body heat. It won't wrinkle, and it dries fast. Nylon is durable and strong as well, but it's soft against the skin. Lycra is the brand name for Du Pont's version of spandex.
ZERO WASTE COUTURE
Nothing goes to waste with Anne Mulaire. Not fabric, and certainly not creativity. Twice a year, on May 1 and January 1st, Anne and her team gather remnants to create one-of-a-kind, super-comfortable “zero waste” outfits to delight and impress fashionistas and hippies alike!
Anne Mulaire’s spirit of environmental stewardship is shaped by her Indigenous roots, her upbringing, and her keen sense of what is right.
When you wear Anne Mulaire, you are being kind to the world. And kind to yourself.
FOR BEST RESULTS:
We recommend these washing instructions for ALL of our fabric blends.
- Wash cold, delicate cycle.
- Hang or lay flat to dry.
- Garments may shrink a max 3-4% if washed and dried at hot temperatures.
- If your garment is colour blocked, the best method is to wash the garment in cold water and immediately remove to hang / lay flat to dry.
FOR ALL PRINTED and EMBROIDERED garments: Turn inside out before washing, wash in COLD WATER, delicate cycle. This will help to keep the colour and detail lasting longer.
* Viscose from Bamboo / organic cotton is as easy to care for as any cotton t-shirt, with one exception: it is heavy when wet. Laying flat to dry when possible will help eliminate stretch when wet garments are heavy. We recommend washing on the delicate cycle with similar soft garments (no rough denim or your child’s Velcro gym shorts).
If you don’t find the fabric care answer that you are looking for, please contact us. We’re happy to help!